Community garden project.
Growing your own food, flowers and fruits can be more than "just a hobby"
I know, because I do. The joy I get from this little piecde of land is something I cherish and want to share.
This is not a money making scheme, rather a labor of love, a little day dream where I envision a group of individuals working their own gardens and interacting with each other, plants and soils.
If you have ever had a garden you know it: being outside, exercising a little, getting some vitamine D from the sun, checking on crops,the first peas, the surprises, a homemade homegrown salad, the smile on someone's face getting a bundle of freshcut sunflowers, on hands and knees weeding, the daily little miracles and frustrations of insects. The best food you ever ate, maybe not because it looks perfect but because you made it happen.
If you live in an appartment and you miss it, or you don't have as much room as you would like, or you are a novice garderen and want to try your hand at it with some gentle guideance, here is a good deal for you!
I am not much on rules and want to keep it as simple as possible. This is the first year I am trying this so bear with me and let'make it nice. So here it goes:
PROPOSED RULES (open to input)
*I have 12 plots readily available, each plot is flat, 20 by 50 feet (1000 square ft.), clearly marked. I plan on planting 4 feet borders of gras strips around the plots. Plots will be 50 dollar for the season. You can share a plot with someone, but I am not going to split them up in anything smaller.
*You can take "posession" of your plot as soon as it dry enough that the ground can be tilled (usually around April 1st.) and you have visited with me in person or by phone. The order of plots will be based on a first come first serve, but I will keep the two plots closest to the tool shed for the least mobile persons
*I will provide the seed bed preparation, weather permitting and at your request, either with a troy built tiller or with a tractor mounted tiller.
* I will have a small push seeder available, string to mark rows, a couple of shovels, hoes and small hand tools and I can provide other tools upon request.
* It is completely up to you what you want to grow with the following stipulation: no trees, no perennials and nothing illegal.
* The field has had chickens on it in the fall of 2012 and I think that soil fertility is adequate for most crops. However, if you feel you want to add compost, go right ahead. If you want to apply fertilizer from a bag I would request you consult with me first.
* Rule: At no time will I allow the use of herbicides or non organically approved pesticides!
* I have many seeds available for free, (list to follow) a number of good catalogues to order from and Orscheln, MFA and Creek side nurseries are just around the corner.
* I will have transplants available and for those I will probably charge. If you are interested in growing your own transplants from your own seed or you want to grow transplants from my seed I can accomodate that. (Ah someone volunteer to work in the greenhouse?).
* I think I would request a minimum of one vist per month to keep in good standing, otherwise the weeds may take over and I will have to fence the chickens in on the plot. Chicken cultivation available by request.
* If you have surplus production we may be able to arrange for selling at my roadside stand or you can try the farmers market in Hermann or the Farmers market at the Mercantile in McKittrick. I love the luxury problems!
*Come summertime you may have to water your plot.
I have enough water pressure and a good sprinkler that should let you water the plot in 2 hours. Note: only one person can water at the time! I will provide a bulletin board for internal communication between members, but I will not be responsible for organising a watering schedule. I will provide every grower with a list of names and phone number and emails, if that is ok.
*You may want to trellis your beans or stake your tomatoes. Currently I do not yet know how to handle that, purchase your own posts?, rent them from me, me donating them?
*You can come any day of the week. But I work at the hospital Sunday , Monday and Tuesday night so I don't want to be disturbed at my house Monday and Tuesday during the day and Wednesday till noon. Other than that I would be happy to visit and advise you (or you me) when I have the time. You can see how I am going to become a millionaire here right?
Questions/suggestions: email@example.com or call 573 252 4935
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.